Saturday, February 4, 2017

Going to the River Jordan

Today (Friday) was action packed from start to finish. We visited the River Jordan where Christ was baptized, from there we went up to the Mount of Temptations where Christ fasted for 40 days, then back down to the tree of Zecchaeus, and finally we visited the ancient city of Jericho; there was no wall. 

At the Mount of Temptations we weren't able to use the lift, due to maintenance issues, so appropriately we walked the sandy desert path to the place of Christ's biblical battle with Satan. It was much warmer out than usual. Many of us prayed, fingering our rosaries as we prepared to enter into this mysterious event. The site is venerated in a Russian monastery that is quite literally built into the side of a cliff face. It would almost look suspended in mid-air if it wasn't so securely and precisely grafted into the mountain. As we ascend, the centuries of history from this place begin to set in. Real people ate, slept and prayed in these caves. Monks lived and died here. It's ancient yet alive. 

At the top is a chapel full of beautiful icons that illustrate the account of Christ's temptation; my biggest challenge is trying to take all of it in. I walk up some stairs in the back and find a rock protected by glass. Traditionally this is the rock where Christ endured his temptations. My mind instinctively jumps to another image of a rock in Christ's life, the agony in the Garden, where He accepts the Fathers will and denies Satan once again. Jesus is becoming more and more real for me, I can see Him and talk with Him more clearly each day and this experience is sharpening His image within me.

Then I hear a loud noise. A Monk is yelling for another group to wait, or for us to not sit, I'm unsure. So I get up, kiss the altar over the rock and as I turn I smack my head on the sanctuary lamp. Dangit! Now my head hurts and the monk is again yelling as I try to make it down the stairs. I look for a bench to sit. I want to collect myself and pray in the chapel. I find an open seat and as I go to sit down I discover that I'm much further from the bench than I had suspected. I hit the ancient hand carved seat with too much force and knock the bench back making even more noise. I try not to laugh but my buddy sitting next to me is already fighting back a grin. I look up towards the back stairs and see the gold sanctuary lamp still swinging, my head hurts and I can feel the monks glare. I can't help but laugh.


I tell this story in an attempt to portray a reoccurring experience I've encountered on pilgrimage, moments filled with a mixture of the ordinary and the extraordinary. Its difficult to explain so I figured simply telling a real experience would be most effective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment