Sunday, February 5, 2017

Finding peace

It was a very peaceful time sitting at the harbor and praying during our visit to Caesarea Maritima. I was thinking about how the apostles were fishermen, even though they fished in the sea of Galilee and this was the Mediterranean Sea. How peaceful that kind of life might be. Yet, we tend to fill our day with noise, and even when we want some peace and quiet, there usually isn’t. Here I am, sitting next to the sea in the land where Jesus most likely walked on. Then it came to me….

Back when I was learning about the different names for “generations” in America, I learned about how each previous generation would say how good it was back in their day, and how this “new” generation is corrupting the world and changing everything. I started to ponder this while sitting near the sea, how peaceful and quite things are here and comparing it to what I am used to in the States.   
 
“The Grass is always greener on the other side.”

I am guilty of doing this just as much as the person you might be thinking of too. I might think of how simple life was back during Jesus’ time, but the fact is that the world back then had its own set of problems and we have different problems today. One time was not better than the other. If anything, back then was just as corrupt as it is today. The important thing to remember is the Paschal Mystery. That is, the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, the key point to our Christian faith, that our God humbled himself to share in our humanity so that we may be able to share in his divinity.


 One great way I like to acknowledge the Paschal Mystery in my everyday life is that I never go a day without thanking God for at least three things. If you keep this practice, then slowly you will start to build a heart of humility that will transform the people around you, just like Christ did in his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment