Thursday, February 2, 2017

Led through the desert


Our itinerary was lighter than usual today. After morning prayer, Mass, and breakfast, we visited Bethlehem University, a small Catholic college with roughly 3,000 students. After a short tour and question-and-answer session, we were essentially set free for the rest of the day. Some of the guys went to familiar stomping grounds to pray, shop, eat, hang out, or even serve and visit with local Christian communities. Others went seeking new places for the same purposes. As uncertain as the possibility seemed, I thought I would attempt to return to the Mar Saba Monastery in the Judean Desert. I had wanted to explore the area around the monastery more – especially the caves in which monks including St. Sabbas himself lived as early as the fifth century.

 The first few taxi drivers I met were quoting prices I wasn’t willing to pay. The next person I asked was a young man who I mistook as a cab driver because of his yellow car. After unsuccessfully attempting to find me a better rate, he offered to take me himself. He revealed that he was a local tour guide and had taken people there before. His English was very good so we carried on good conversation for much of the trip. We arrived in short time and spent an hour or two in the Kidron Valley descending, hopping the wadi, ascending, and repeating to explore some of the remarkable ancient dwellings. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The cool, sunny day definitely helped.

I didn’t really expect to make it back to Mar Saba today. So many things were going to have to go right for me to make it there and back on a budget in time for our evening commitments. But there was a spark of hope that maybe this would somehow come together. I had to try. The three Palestinian students who led our Q & A today have that same hope, though for something a bit loftier than a sweet daytrip. They have hope that they can make a difference, that there can be peace between the people here, and indeed throughout the world. They are already beginning to realize this hope in their university, family, and local communities. It’s amazing what God can do with a little hope and a few small steps. Today was a good reminder of that for me.


            

            

No comments:

Post a Comment