Friday, March 17, 2017

Soccer to Build Bridges


Yesterday we went to the cathedral and seminary of the Armenian Orthodox Christians in the Armenian Quarter of the Old City.  We attended Vespers, got a tour of the Cathedral, and then played soccer against some of their seminarians.  The soccer game was fun to watch (and probably even more fun to play in!).  After the game, we enjoyed some coffee and snacks with the Armenian seminarians.  One of their priests gave us a blessing before we left.

The soccer game is another example of an opportunity that wasn’t on the schedule before we arrived in the Holy Land.  Fr. Dennis has been exceptionally good at creating chances for us to encounter the local people here.  It was especially nice to join the Armenians for a few hours because it built a bridge between a group of Catholics and a group of Orthodox.  The Franciscan Catholic friars and the Armenian and Greek Orthodox monks who work at the Holy Sepulcher Church all have this same challenge – to build bridges between each other and to overcome past relations that were, on a good day, stiff, cold, and formal.

The glaring divisions in Christianity as it exists in the Holy Land have been one of the hardest things to come to terms with here.  The pettiness, territorialism, anger, closed doors, closed minds, and closed hearts are disturbing.  There are three Christmases, two Easters, at least three different “types” of Christians running/vying for control of the holiest places on earth, and all of this gives a horrific witness of disunity, division, and discord.

Christ said that “there will be one flock, one shepherd” and prayed that all “may be one,” as Jesus and the Father are one.  We must continue to pray for this.  Amazingly, despite all this disunity, the holy sites and the Holy Land are still beautiful places to pray and encounter Jesus.  But imagine the power of a unified, outward-facing Church in the Holy Land, helping the world experience the inherent natural beauty and supernatural power of these places.  There are signs of hope: as followers of the Pope’s activities will know, relations between denominations on a macro-level have improved in recent years, and the Franciscans at the Holy Sepulcher testify to warmer relations with Greek and Armenian monks than even a few years ago.  The Franciscans themselves who are stationed at the holy sites are models of peace, perseverance, and forbearance.

As for us, our contribution yesterday was the soccer game, and the cookies that followed.  Because of this, we will be a little more open to each other in the future, and a little less irrationally fearful or disdainful.  It’s a small step in getting in touch with our common humanity and our common Savior, but may it be just another step in a series of many.






9 comments:

  1. For your consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4 pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. email: drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.

      1) Love Spells
      2) Lost Love Spells
      3) Divorce Spells
      4) Marriage Spells
      5) Binding Spell.
      6) Breakup Spells
      7) Banish a past Lover
      8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
      9) want to satisfy your lover
      Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
      through drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Loved the way you have shared your views and your knowledge. I love this type of blog because it's so informative and knowledgeable. Thank you.
    Same Day Tour Packages
    Same Day Agra Tour By Gatimaan Express Train
    Taj Mahal Sunrise Tour from Delhi
    Same Day Delhi Tour by Car
    Same Day Jaipur Tour by Train

    ReplyDelete
  3. India visa requirements, like visas from most countries, change from time to time. Recent changes by the Indian government affect both tourist and business visas. india tourist visa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this great work… for this article and very informative article. Wish to travel Visit turkey best place Mardin’s Old City is easily toured by walking Turkey apply for online e visa of Turkey through e Turkish visa online application. The US visa for Turkey visitors need to fill online e visa application upload documents & photos, make online payment. Pakistan is the world's 26th largest economy City is easily toured by walking.They need a visa for traveling to Pakistan and get a Pakistan visa . The process is so simple Just go to online Pakistan visa application form and fill out the Pakistan visa Information requirements and UK all citizens traveling to Pakistan ,get the evisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you The international travelers who travel to Kenya need visas Kenya. That they can apply kenya e visa online and can get the 24*7 customer assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read this, thank you... Getting an Indian 30 Days Tourist eVisa from USA online. You can apply online completely securely through eVisa India website. The government of India has announced that travelers with tourist visas are now allowed to stay in India for a maximum period of 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job. I want to say that this post is excellent. Many people ask, How to get an emergency visa to India? You can easily get an Indian emergency visa, you can read on my blog what emergency visa requirements and costs are.


    ReplyDelete