Wednesday, March 8, 2017

My Journal


Today was a great day. On the move! It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to blog about for today. I was going to give a small reflection on the Garden of Gethsemane. I also thought about inserting a meditation we heard today on the subject of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem, maybe something about Jesus weeping over the city of Jerusalem. I couldn’t choose and I still can’t. So I have decided to share my whole day. I have been keeping a personal journal of each day’s events while here on Pilgrimage, haven’t missed a day yet. The journal has turned into a real grace. It gives me an opportunity to remember the day’s events, but more importantly it has fostered a deep sense of gratitude for the blessings we are receiving as pilgrims. Multiple times I have experienced writing something in my journal at the end of the day and then saying out loud, ‘Wow! I got to see that today!’ Or ‘I can’t believe that happened!’ I had a couple of those, today was exceptional. 

What follows is almost verbatim what I wrote in my journal. I hope it allows you a glimpse and a feeling into the experience we are having.





3/7/17- Tuesday
Decently early rise. Morning Prayer and Office on our own and breakfast. So off to Holy Sepulcher for holy hour. Beautiful time in prayer. Lots of gratitude, then off to a busy day. Mt. of Olives. We started by visiting the Church of the Ascension. Footprint of Christ. Then to Paternoster Church and cave where Christ would have likely taught the Apostles how to pray the Our Father. They had the Our Father in like 175 different languages, including Georgian, strong Southern accents can be noted in the photo. Then down to the cemetery and Dominus Flevit, Jesus Wept. Church is shaped like a giant tear. Epic with the huge cemetery right next to it. Momento Mori. Even the stones would cry out. Talking about the tombstones! Then down to the Church of All Nations also known as the Garden of Gethsemane. We had Mass there. Very beautiful experience. It was unreal touching “the rock” where He prayed while Father was saying the words of consecration. “As He entered willingly into His Passion.” Those are the words Father prayed, words we pray! Convo with classmate in the Garden. Did a rosary walk through Lion’s gate (one of the gates to enter into the “Old City”). Went to Church of the Flagellation. Then to Ecce Homo where Christ was condemned, and down into the cisterns. Didn’t have to pay, seminarian benefit. Very kind of them. Continue rosary walk to Crowning of Thorns and Via Crucis. Walked the same path that Jesus walked while I prayed. Finished in the Holy Sepulcher on Calvary. Seriously cool experience. 


Roamed around the Old City. Got pretty lost. Really fun. Walked through a street art gallery in the Jewish Quarter, really cool stuff. Street pizza was delicious. Eat and walk, fast food Jerusalem style. 2 personal pan sized pizzas for $6. Walked back to hotel. Spent an hour doing schoolwork with coffee. Out to see the Missionaries of Charity here in Jerusalem. We went to celebrate Mass with them in their house. Ridiculously joyful. There were 7 of us and Fr. Kasule. There are 6 Sisters here in Jerusalem. Was a real grace for me to see them and they have been praying for us. Back to hotel for Evening Payer and quick dinner. Scheduled Skype call back home and then Cam night (fraternity time). Bedtime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment