Saturday, January 21, 2017

Expect the Unexpected


The other day I introduced myself to the man who oversees preparing our meals here. When I met him and told him that I am from Colombia, his face immediately changed from a normal and curious way to a happy face. He told me, “My son-in-law is also from Colombia. I will tell him that you are here and he will come to visit you!” What a small world! Columbians in the Holy Land! And it got even better.  

Today, I was invited to have lunch with his son-in-law at the family home. He has been living here since he was 6 years old. The family is very devout in their Catholic faith and had a crucifix in the entrance of their home and images and icons inside the house. They prepared a nice meal for me of rice with meat, salad, grilled chicken and juice. 

After lunch, we were able to sit together at the table and have cake and coffee. Each time other family members would share something, my new friend would switch to Spanish and sometimes to English.

After I returned, my classmates and I had a visit from a Muslim student in his mid-20's. He came to share with our class on Ecumenical and Interreligious Dialogue about his personal experience of growing up in the Islamic faith. He did a great job describing his tradition of prayer, his family customs and how central his religious beliefs are to his life.
The class in general was very active in asking questions and the young man gave generous and honest answers.

These are some of the unexpected highlights of my day in the Holy Land, a land of diversity and encounter. Here you find generous human beings living their daily human experience in the land in which the Messiah chose to be born. Tomorrow will no doubt be just as exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment